PADI Internships Available at Roatan Dive Academy
Looking for a new career that lets you work at the most exotic locations around the world? Join the adventure industry and become a Divemaster on the Caribbean island Roatan. Roatan Dive Academy powered by Subway Watersports offers Divemaster Internships focused on hands-on experience working in the industry while obtaining the education, training and credentials needed to become a Divemaster.
Divemaster Internship Highlights include:
- Hands-on education in a fun atmosphere.
- On the job training with expert Divemasters, Instructors and recreational divers.
- Unlimited free diving and use of dive equipment.
- Free Accommodation.
- Free buffet lunch at the Resort and transportation to the dive center.
- Dive free for life*
- Free Project AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Specialty ($100 value)
- Package and group discounts
- College/university course credit
- Huge discounts on specialties, courses, dive equipment and more.
Divemaster Internships start on the first and fifteenth of every month, with some flexibility given based on personal schedule and flight availability. To maintain high quality training, we limit the amount of interns to a maximum of 10. All interns will be living in the same house for free. Check out internship availabilities in specific months and get to know the current and future Divemaster Interns.
Important Details for Divemaster Internships
Depending on your certification and number of logged dives, internships vary in length. However a minimum of one month is required. For an Open Water Diver to attain the professional level of Divemaster, an 8 week internship is recommended. If you are entering our program as an Advanced Open Water Diver, we recommend 6-7 weeks, and 4-5 weeks for Rescue divers, again depending on your number of logged dives.
If you are certified with an agency other than PADI, we can convert your current certification to the PADI system with no additional time or expense.
Accommodation is included in the Divemaster Internship and Instructor programs. You will stay in a two bedroom, two bathroom house, shared with other interns. Interns house is on the premises of the Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort. Lunch is provided by Subway Watersports at the Resort´s restaurant. Food for breakfast and dinner can be bought at the supermarket and cooked in the fully stocked kitchen in the house. There are a few local restaurants and bars nearby of various calibers and prices. The house has free Wi-Fi, daily maid service, TV and DVD player, a large porch with shade and a beautiful ocean view, and so much more!
Additional nights at the intern house before or after your internship are available for $15 per night (space permitting).
Interns are not required to stay at the intern house. If you are looking for private or more upscale accommodation we are more than happy to assist in finding another place, with some options available very close by.
The Open Water Diver certification is recommended, but not required. We can train those who have never even been under the water before, a slightly longer training period is recommended. If you are considering taking your Open Water Instructor Course, please be aware that PADI requires you to be Open Water certified for a minimum of six months before you can take your Instructor Exams.
The minimum age is 18 years old. It is also important to be in moderate to good physical shape.
- Staff the dive shop; guest check-in, sign up clients for activities and assist with their retail purchases.
- Assist in the preparation of the dive boats, loading tanks and setting up guest equipment as well as end of day shut down activities.
- Learn to fill dive tanks and if interested mix Nitrox.
- Assist our staff with divers, students and other Interns in their programs.
- Help with the overall customer flow and safety of divers.
- Dive daily (usually once or twice sometimes more, this is up to you)
- Shark Dive
- Lionfish hunting license (training provided by the Roatan Marine Park)
- Practice Spanish
- Assist in monthly Instructor Development Course IDC
- Spend time on a beautiful Caribbean island and dive part of the world’s second largest barrier reef with a variety of exceptional dive sites and marine life.
- Meet people from all over the world with the same passion for diving as you.
- Take any specialty dive courses at a discounted rate.
- Opportunity to continue your education and become an Assistant Instructor or Instructor.
Why do your Divemaster Internship with Subway Watersports?
Subway Watersports is a PADI 5-Star Instructor Development Center, Green Star Award winner and the first National Geographic Dive Center in the Bay Islands of Honduras. We follow the highest quality standards set by PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) and National Geographic. We believe that becoming a dive professional through an internship gives you the most experience by working in the industry and seeing what the dive lifestyle is all about firsthand.
Roatan Dive Academy works closely with most of the other dive centers here on Roatan assisting them with their staffing needs. We have a constantly growing community of Divemasters and Instructors that have therefore taken their new profession out into the world.
We will provide references, resume/CV building advice and guidance as well as offer job openings to our candidates when the fit is right.
Interested in learning more? Please click here to request an Application Form via E-mail or e-mail us at [email protected].
* Dive free for life: you must bring regular paying divers with you on the dive (no hotel package accepted).